Monday, August 20, 2012

Salvaging an Ugly Bib

While knitting one of my five bibs for the Ravellenic games, I realized the yarn I was using had some nasty color pooling going on. It was a yellow-and-white variegated yarn, but instead of having a nice progression from yellow to white and back, there were big yucky patches. I considered pulling it out and starting something else, but since I was on a car trip, that would mean wasting my last few hours of valuable knitting time.

So I continued on, periodically showing my husband the ugly progress, confidently claiming I would definitely be able to salvage it. He was skeptical. Secretly, I was a little skeptical, too.

I finished it in the car.
Yucky color pooling. Not a fan.


Determined, I made up a quick fish applique using the only other yarn I had with me. Cute! Then when I got home, I made up an octopus applique. Cute! Last but not least, I made this starfish from the Stitch London blog. The result? I think I pulled it off!
Just a little beach scene. Pretend I did it this way on purpose :-)

In case anyone else wants to replicate this easy fix, or just things it would be fun to have some beach appliques on a knitted item, I have included free patterns below.

Yarn: Scraps of Sugar and Cream Cotton Worsted
Tools: Size 6 double point needles
Special abbreviations:
M1L- Insert the left-hand needle, from front to back, under the strand of yarn which runs between the stitch just worked and the next stitch on the left-hand needle, knit this stitch through the back loop.
M1R- Insert the left-hand needle, from back to front, under the strand of yarn which runs between the stitch just worked and the next stitch on the left-hand needle, knit this stitch through the front loop.
P1 f& b- Purl the front of a stitch, then purl the back of the same stitch
Ssk- Slip 1 stitch, slip another stitch, knit two slipped stitches together.
K2tog- Knit two stitches together as if they were one stitch

Fish applique

CO 12
Row 1: knit all stitches
Row 2, 4, 6, 8, 10: purl all stitches
Row 3, 5, 7, 9: k1, ssk, knit to 1 before end, k2tog
(You should have 4 stitches left on the needle
Row 11, 13, 15, 17: k1, m1L, knit to 1 before end, m1r, k1
Row 12, 14, 15, 16, 18: purl all stitches
(You should have 12 stitches left on the needles)
Row 19: knit all stitches
Row 20, 22, 24, 26: purl all stitches
Row 21, 23, 25, 27: k1, m1L, knit to 1 before end, m1r, k1
Cut yarn, leaving a 6 inch tail, and thread through remaining 4 stitches.

Octopus applique
CO 6
Row 1: knit all stitches
Row 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12: purl all stitches
Row 3, 5, 7, 9: k1, m1L, knit to 1 stitch from end, m1r, k1
(You should have 14 stitches on your needles)
Row 13: knit all stitches
Row 14, 16: purl all stitches
Row 15, 17: k1, ssk, knit to 1 stitch from end, k2tog, k1
(You should have 10 stitches left on the needles)
Row 18: *p1 f&b, p1* to end
(You should have 15 stitches on the needles)
First tentacle: knit 3, work these 3 stitches in an i-cord for 6 rows. Cut yarn.
Second tentacle: Reattach yarn to remaining 12 stitches. Knit 2, BO 1, knit 2, work these 3 stitches in an i-cord for 6 rows. Cut yarn.
Third tentacle: Reattach yarn to remaining 8 stitches. Knit 2, BO 1, knit 2, work these 3 stitches in an i-cord for 6 rows. Cut yarn.
Fourth tentacle: Reattach yarn to remaining 4 stitches. Knit 2, BO 1, knit 2, work these 3 stitches in an i-cord for 6 rows. Cut yarn.

Weave ends up into main body of octopus- you can hide them under the body when it is sewn on. Sew octopus onto bib and embroider french knot eyes and a chain stitch mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment