Saturday, July 14, 2012

Have a Cow

Chick Fil A was giving away free meals if you dressed up as a cow yesterday, and free entrees for a "partial" cow costume. Never one to resist free food, I decided we needed to go. I spent a good deal of my day making cow t-shirts for my husband, baby and I. The shirts turned out cute, but they just didn't seem complete, so I decided that some quick and easy knitted cowbells would be just the ticket. I searched Ravelry, and could not find one pattern for a cowbell (how is this possible?), so I whipped this one up. If you're in need of a last minute cowbell for a costume, enjoy this one on me.
Still not sure how I feel about baby's picture being on my blog/twitter


Sizes: Baby Cow (Mama Cow, Papa Cow)
Gauge: Unimportant
Yarn: Whatever yellow scraps you have lying around (mine is Hayfield Bonus Toytime DK, leftover from this project)
Tools: Size 9 double point needles, Size K crochet hook (optional)
Special abbreviation: To work a bauble, do as follows: in same stitch, K in front, K in back, K in front, K in back, K in front. Turn work. Purl these 5 stitches. Turn work again. [K 2tog] 2x, then pass these two stitches over the remaining stitch. Only one stitch remains where you increased to 5.

CO 12 (16, 20) stitches using the long tail cast on

Row 1: Knit all stitches
Row 2: Purl all stitches

Repeat these two rows 3 (4, 5) times

Next row: K1, ssk, knit to 2 stitches from end, K2tog, K1
Next row: Purl all stitches

Repeat these two rows 2 (2, 3) more times

Cast off stitches until only 3 stitches remain. Slide these three stitches to the end of the double point needle and work a 3 stitch i-cord for 10 (12, 14) rows.

At cast-on edge, with RS facing you, pick up and knit 11 (15, 19) stitches.

Row 1 (WS): Knit all stitches
Row 2 (RS): Knit 5 (7, 9), Work a bauble, Knit 5 (7, 9)
Row 3: Knit all stitches
Row 4: Bind off all stitches

NECK CORD

Crochet a chain stitch long enough to fit around the wearer's neck and loosely tie into a bow. Alternately, you could make an i-Cord long enough to fit around the wearer's neck and loosely tie into a bow. 

Last minute Cowbells

No comments:

Post a Comment